Monday, December 19, 2022

Children's Book Club for Adults

The Blog and Podcast

This blog will run alongside a podcast where I will discuss children's books. The aim of this blog is to give teachers and parents/carers a quick overview of some of the amazing children's books on offer today. Whether you are looking for books to add to your curriculum, a gift for an avid reader, a book to support children with a specific need or just something to read with your form/class, this blog/podcast will hopefully give you some ideas or at least point you in the direction of some good children's books.

The podcast episodes will be no longer than 15minutes as I appreciate that time is important to us all  

Teaching

I am currently a secondary English Teacher, however prior to this I taught in a primary school for 9 years. Whilst teaching in primary school, I took on the role of English Lead, which ignited my passion for reading. After some lockdown CPD, my eyes were truly opened to the power of books and reading and from this I redesigned the reading curriculum for the schools within our trust. Like I mentioned earlier, I now teach English in a secondary school and help to run a KS3 Book Club one lunch time a fortnight where we choose a book and read it over the fortnight then discuss a book together. 

Me

I haven’t always enjoyed reading and I can’t remember enjoying or reading anything during my teenage years. This changed when I read ‘A Monster Calls’ by Patrick Ness. 

I have two children (3 and 1) who absolutely love 'reading' - we have books everywhere in the house and have shared books with them both since they were very young. My partner and I see daily the benefits of reading (both teachers) and were keen to ensure that our children grew up surrounded by books. I’m hoping that my knowledge of children’s books can keep them interested for many, many years to come. And if I can help anyone else along the way then that’s an added bonus! 

No comments:

Post a Comment