Wednesday, January 4, 2023

KS2 Books

There are a number of books that I used during my time in Year 6 and I thought that they might just be worth sharing with you.


Letters from the Lighthouse by Emma Carroll @emmac2603. Utterly brilliant!

I used this during our 'World Wars' topic. The children absolutely loved the novel (and I remember my TA at the time taking a copy home to read as she had enjoyed reading parts of it with a smaller group). The mystery around the disappearance of Olive's sister and the clues given throughout the kept the children engaged from start to end. 


Floodland by Marcus Sedgwick. Another great read.

Used during our 'Our World' topic, linking to global warming. The story of Zoe, who is desperate to find her parents, ends up finding her way to Eels Island. A dangerous island where she needs to survive and find an escape from the dangers all around her. 



Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt @LynMullalyHunt. Brilliant for understanding dyslexia.

I started this book with a Year 6 'bubble' during the first lockdown. Due to the lockdowns we never completed the book which was absolutely gutting. In my bubble of 6, there was a child with dyslexia which was one of the reasons I chose the book. The reaction from the child with dyslexia was beautiful. They related to the struggles of Ally and discussed their own experiences of school with the group. This was one of the books which made me push for a reading curriculum that was representative of the children in our school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment